Imagine that you are given a blank canvass and asked to do anything you want with it. You can use any color in your palette and express yourself in any way you want- think of your home, the same way.
Christmas is a time to have fun and what better way to let your imagination go wild than with your Christmas décor. Whether you are going all out this year or taking the minimalistic route, there is always something you can do to make the season a magical one in your home.
Do Some Planning
From the windows to the front porch, and corners of your home that you pay little attention to, everything has potential. You will be surprised at how little details in the right places can change the entire look of your home.
Before you begin decorating, take some time to examine your home. You have probably lived there for years but there are certain details or areas that you’ve paid little or no attention to. If you have large empty spaces, take note of it before planning begins.
The next step is to create a budget. It is easy to overspend during Christmas without knowing and the best way to stay on track is to have an idea of how much you are willing to spend on Christmas decorations.
If you have reference photos of what you wish to do for specific areas of your home, take note of them when planning. You can shop for the items used in those pictures on the internet or use them as a foundation for what you want to do. Also, fix a date for when you’ll go shopping to better utilize your time.
Must-Haves for Christmas
Although you can use almost anything you want for Christmas, certain items have become staples of the season. It is almost like a tradition to have these items in your home, and Christmas will not be the same without them. These items are:
- Christmas tree: It can’t be Christmas if you don’t have a Christmas tree in your home. Even if it is a mini-tree, there is no doubt that having a tree in your home, is an important part of the season.
- Ornaments: These form a part of your tree decorations as you cannot have a big evergreen tree in your home without anything to decorate it with. These ornaments can be baubles, ribbons, or old items that are special to you.
- Stockings: There have to be stockings for the fireplace. It great waking up on Christmas morning and seeing the stockings filled with candy and other goodies.
- Garlands: Garland is a fun piece that can be decorated with lights and used in different parts of the house.
- Elements of Nature: Add some pinecones, twigs, and other natural elements as part of your décor to increase the warmth in your home.
Real Tree or Artificial Christmas Tree
If you don’t have one already, then you need to decide on which tree to use for your xmas tree decorations. You can find high-quality artificial trees in stores around you and an artificial tree can last you for a long time. You also don’t have to worry about shedding or maintaining it as you would do a real tree.
Shopping for a real tree is great fun for the kids and the whole family. It adds a natural fragrance to your home and buying one means that you are supporting the environment and small businesses.
When buying a new tree, make sure to get a tree basket along with it. It will improve the overall appearance of the tree and hide any shedding that occurs.
See Also : An Exhaustive Guide to Festive Christmas Decorations
Apart from the main tree, you can get several mini trees to place in different areas of your home. Decorate these trees with some lights and fake snow to complement your design.
Theme of Christmas
You are probably aware that the traditional colors used for Christmas are green and red but you can do whatever you want for Christmas. You can stick to the traditional theme, give your home a winter-like look by using silver and blue decorations along with some fake snow and clear lights.
If you wish, you can take the modern route by having a sort of gold theme for Christmas. What matters is that you do something special and have the best time doing it.